James Ludlow is a native of Corydon, Indiana and has been a practicing attorney in Indiana since 1987. He was raised on a 300 acre working farm in Southern Indiana by parents who were also full time teachers and who encouraged him at an early age to express his opinions, even when his causes were not always popular with the local school board.
While teaching full time and also managing a working farm, his parents had a strong work ethic that they passed on to their son. Though James began his college education as a music and business major, his destiny was ultimately in the field of law. During his law school education, James displayed the same tenacity that he currently brings to all of his cases in having graduated with Honors from the Indiana University School of Law in Indianapolis.
While in law school, James discovered that he had a passion in the area of civil litigation involving medical issues. After graduation, he worked with a local personal injury firm for two years before beginning his own practice exclusively representing seriously injured people or the families of those wrongfully killed. James has distinguished himself from many larger injury law firms by taking a personal, down-to-earth, compassionate and proactive approach with all of his clients. He is passionate about his clients and their concerns, and is dedicated to achieving the best financial result for their cases that is just and reasonable, as well as making sure that his clients receive the best possible medical care.
James Ludlow has an excellent reputation not only among his clients, but also among his fellow attorneys as well. Recognizing his abilities and good standing in the legal community, Martindale-Hubbell has awarded James an AV Preeminent rating. This is the highest rating possible for any attorney and is a significant accomplishment. In fact, only 2% of the attorneys in the United States have received a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating.
James Ludlow was also selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for 2011 and 2012 in the field of personal injury. Since its inception in 1983, Best Lawyers has become regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence. Because Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 39,000 leading attorneys cast almost 3.1 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas, and because lawyers are not permitted to pay a fee to be listed, inclusion in Best Lawyers is also considered quite an honor. Corporate Counsel magazine has called Best Lawyers “the most respected referral list of attorneys in practice.” Avvo.com, the world’s largest legal directory, has also awarded James its highest available rating (10.0 Superb).
What sets James apart from his peers is not only his knowledge of the medical issues that his clients face, but also the relationships he has developed with many preeminent medical providers in the Indianapolis area who have treated his clients over the years. He has made it a point to learn about his client’s medical conditions from top orthopedics surgeons, physiatrists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, and pain management specialists. In fact, he is chairing a continuing education event in February 2012 for the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association called “Day with the Doc’s” where is he has invited a number of prominent physicians to educate attorneys regarding unique medical issues that are associated with traumatic injuries.
With more than 25 years successfully handling serious injury claims, James understands the various types of injuries that can result from accidents, and how those specific injuries may affect his clients over their lifetime. With this knowledge, he makes sure that the liability insurance company of the person who caused the accident, and if necessary any jury that may hear the case, understands the nature of the injury and its long-term consequences so that his clients receive the compensation they rightfully deserve. While James has never hesitated to a case if necessary, because of his ability to explain his client’s injuries in an easily understandable fashion, and because liability insurers are aware of his favorable trial results, he is able to achieve a reasonable and fair settlement without the necessity of trial is most cases.
Areas of Practice Representing Plaintiffs:
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Semi Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Insurance Bad Faith Claims
- Indiana University School of Law – Indianapolis, J.D., cum laude, 1987
- Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana, M.B.A., with honors, 1984
- Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana, B.S., with honors, 1982
- State of Indiana, 1987-present
Courts of Practice:
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1987-present
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- Ethics and Admissibility of Recorded Telephone Conversations, The Verdict
- Obtaining a Tortfeasor’s Drug & Alcohol Treatment Records, The Verdict
- How to Recover Uncontested Medical Expenses in a Motion for Partial Summary Judgement, The Verdict
- Indiana’s Tort Prejudgement Interest – How to Make it Work for Your Client, The Verdict
- Admissibility of the Existence of Liability Insurance via the Defendant’s Expert Witness, The Indiana Lawyer, December 13 – December 26, 1995
Pro Bono & Community Activities:
- Rotary International, former Member Board of Directors and Vice-President of Local Club
- Dayspring Center — homeless shelter for families with children
- Dress for Success — charity which assists with providing appropriate work clothing
- Future Promises — charity which assists pregnant high school students finish school
- Old Bethel Food Pantry — provides food to needy individuals
- Second Helpings — charity which provides food service training and meals to the needy
- Shop with a Cop — assists with police officers shopping with disadvantaged children